Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic v Fraserburgh

SPFL Pyramid Play Off Semi Final 1st Leg, Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic v Fraserburgh, Saturday 23rd April 2021

The Broch travelled south to face Scottish Lowland League Champions Bonnyrigg Rose in the first leg of the SPFL Pyramid Play Offs. They were backed by a large travelling support numbering around 300. Mark Cowie had a full squad to pick from with the exception of Gary Harris who announced his retirement from football after the title winning match against Forres Mechanics the previous week.

Ross Aitken replaced Lewis Davidson at full back and there were also recalls for club captain Willie West and Lewis Duncan with Paul Campbell and Ryan Sargent dropping to the bench. Aidan Combe and Connor Grant were added to the squad from the previous week.

The early stages were quite cagey as both teams sized each other up but it was the home side who had the first effort at goal when Keiran McGachie saw his shot blocked on 13 minutes. Seven minutes later Kerr Young tried his luck from distance but his shot was always drifting wide.

Just before the half hour mark a dangerous cross by Ross Gray almost caught out Paul Leask who looked on nervous as the ball flew wide of goal. At the other end Scott Barbour wriggled clear of his marker on the right and fired in a curling cross that just evaded Lewis Duncan at the far post. A minute later the home side took the lead when Keiran McGachie rose to head home a Lee Currie free kick past Paul Leask.

Half Time: Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 1 Fraserburgh 0

On 51 minutes a clearance fell kindly to Grant Campbell but his effort from outside the penalty area went well wide. Three minutes later Bonnyrigg doubled their lead when Callum Connolly crashed home a shot which flew past the helpless Paul Leask. On the hour the Broch keeper raced off his line to block Bradley Barrett’s effort.

Nine minutes later the Broch were back in the tie when Ross Aitken’s cross from the right was met by Paul Campbell who saw his header cleared off the line but Paul Young was on hand to force the rebound home from close range. The visitors were having their best spell of the game now and came close two minutes later when Scott Barbour’s corner was headed towards goal powerfully by Grant Campbell but a home defender managed to clear the ball to safety.

With 8 minutes remaining Sean Butcher was penalized just outside his own penalty area and Lee Currie curled home the free kick to restore Bonnyrigg’s two goal lead. The home side almost added a fourth in the dying minutes but Kieran Hall’s shot was deflected wide and Kerr Young saw his header cleared off the line from the resultant corner.

Full Time: Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 3 Fraserburgh 1

Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic: Mark Weir, Dean Brett, Neil Martyniuk, Kerr Young, Alan Horne, Jonathan Stewart (Capt.), Keiran McGachie (Sean Brown 67), Lee Currie, Ross Gray (Kieran Hall 71), Bradley Barrett, Callum Connolly.
Subs not used: Lewis Turner, Nathan Evans, Scott Gray, Robert Wilson, Michael Andrews (GK).
Goalscorers: Keiran McGachie (37), Callum Connolly (54), Lee Currie (81).

Fraserburgh: Paul Leask, Ross Aitken, Bryan Hay, Ryan Cowie, Kieran Simpson, Grant Campbell, Jamie Beagrie (Sean Butcher 67), William West (Capt.) (Paul Campbell 59), Lewis Duncan (Ryan Sargent 59), Paul Young, Scott Barbour (Aidan Combe 90).
Subs not used: Logan Watt, Connor Grant, Lewis Davidson, Joe Barbour (GK).
Goalscorer: Paul Young (68).

Match Officials: Referee: Alan Newlands, Assistant Referees: Gary Hilland & Chris Rae.