Season: 2020/2021

Formartine United v Fraserburgh

Evening Express Aberdeenshire Cup Final, Formartine United v Fraserburgh, Wednesday 28th July 2021, Harlaw Park, Inverurie, Kick Off 8:00PM

 The Broch overcame a half time deficit to retain the Aberdeenshire Cup which they won in 2019-20. A second half brace by Paul Campbell and a stunning strike by Scott Barbour was enough to see off Formartine United and give the Black and Whites a fifth victory in the last nine seasons in this famous old competition.

The Broch almost made the perfect start on three minutes when Ryan Cowie’s corner was met by the head of Ryan Christie, that effort was blocked and after William West picked out Scott Barbour the striker’s effort was volleyed just wide by Sean Butcher. A minute later Jonathan Smith’s free kick was well held by Paul Leask.

On 8 minutes Scott Lisle saw his shot inside the area blocked before Leask dived on the rebound. A minute later Andrew Greig saw his effort saved by Leask with Bryan Hay on hand to clear the rebound. At the other end Barbour picked out Lewis Davidson with a cross at the back post but the Broch wing back couldn’t force the ball home.

On 15 minutes Cowie released Barbour on the left and his cross was headed towards goal by Ewen Macdonald by Butcher, the Formartine stopper pulled off a great save but the ball broke to Davidson but once again he failed to hit the target from close range. Stuart Smith was replaced three minutes later by Andrew Paterson after picking up a knock earlier.

Formartine took the lead on 20 minutes when Smith and Cole Anderson combined to set up Lisle who slotted the ball past the onrushing Leask. Three minutes later the Broch missed another chance when Butcher headed over a Cowie free kick. On the half hour Butcher’s through ball set Barbour clear on goal but his powerful shot crashed off the crossbar.

Three minutes later Hay picked out Butcher with a cross from the right but the striker’s header was off target. Cole Anderson was yellow carded after 37 minutes. From the resultant free kick Davidson saw his low effort well saved by Macdonald. Two minutes later a quick free kick by Cowie into Barbour but his shot from 12 yards smacked off the right hand post.

Half Time: Formartine United 1 Fraserburgh 0

Five minutes into the second half a long ball forward bounced into the Formartine penalty area and Paul Campbell reacted before the keeper could get to the ball to head into an empty net and level the score. On 55 minutes a corner by Cowie was headed wide by Butcher as the Broch pushed for another goal.

It was only delayed by three minutes when another set piece was cleared to Barbour 20 yards out on the right corner of the penalty area and he curled a magnificent effort into the top corner past the despairing dive of Macdonald. Graeme Rodger was then booked for a bad foul before Lisle saw his effort on 63 minutes blocked by Leask.

On 71 minutes Cowie’s corner was headed back across goal by Hay but West’s shot from close range was blocked. Three minutes later Lisle’s header was off target for Formartine. The Broch made the most of that miss on 77 minutes when a short back pass was pounced on by Campbell and he rounded the keeper to slot the ball into an empty net and double the lead. He also received a yellow card for taking his shirt off during the celebrations.

Lewis Duncan who had replaced Butcher midway through the second half then hammered in a shot which almost took off teammate Barbour’s head. Grant Campbell was booked in the last minute but the Broch held on comfortably to secure their twelfth success in the competition.

Full Time: Formartine United 1 Fraserburgh 3

 Formartine United: Ewen Macdonald, Jonathan Crawford, Stuart Smith (Andrew Paterson 18), Stuart Anderson (Liam Strachan 48), Darryn Kelly, Kieran Lawrence, Graeme Rodger, Scott Lisle, Jonathan Smith, Cole Anderson (Max McGinlay 79), Andrew Greig.

Sub not used: Daniel Park, Paul Lawson, Balint Demus.

Goalscorer: Scott Lisle (20).

 Fraserburgh: Paul Leask, Lewis Davidson Bryan Hay, Ryan Cowie, Ryan Christie, Grant Campbell (yellow card 89), Paul Young, William West, Paul Campbell (yellow card 77) (Gary Harris 78), Sean Butcher (Lewis Duncan 67), Scott Barbour (Ryan Sargent 87).

Subs not used: Kieran Simpson, Scott Henry, Logan Watt, Edward Flinn.

Goalscorers: Paul Campbell (50 & 77), Scott Barbour (58).

 Match Officials: Referee: Harry Bruce, Assistant Referees: Chris Phillips & Paul McAvinue, Fourth Official: Joel Kennedy.


Keith v Fraserburgh

Evening Express Aberdeenshire Cup Semi Final, Keith v Fraserburgh, Sunday 18th July 2021, Kynoch Park, Keith, Kick Off 3:00PM

 The Broch survived an early scare at Keith and ended up as comfortable winners in a return to competitive action since the Scottish Cup tie against Montrose. Goals from Scott Barbour, Gary Harris, Kieran Simpson and Paul Campbell ensured the visitors secured their place in the final of the 2020-21 Aberdeenshire Cup Final against Formartine United.

Keith shocked the visitors by taking the lead on six minutes. Michael Ironside did well to pick out Przemyslaw Nawrocki inside the penalty area and the home striker side footed home from 8 yards.

Scott Barbour set up Paul Young on 11 minutes but the Broch midfielder saw his shot sting the hands of Craig Reid in the home goal. The same player went even closer 7 minutes later when a Sean Butcher through ball set him clear but Reid did well to block with his legs and danger was cleared.

The equaliser arrived on 33 minutes when Butcher flicked the ball onto Scott Barbour and the Broch hitman was deadly from 8 yards. A minute later Gary Harris combined with Barbour but latter screwed his shot wide from inside the penalty box.

Half Time: Keith 1 Fraserburgh 1

The visitors came out with a spring in their step and Grant Campbell tried his luck from distance in the 48th minute but Reid saved comfortably. A minutes later Harris and Barbour combined to set up Ryan Cowie but again the Keith stopper was equal to the task.

He could do nothing however on 50 minutes to prevent the Broch from taking the lead. Gary Harris picked the ball up outside the penalty area on the left and curled a beauty high into the top corner with Reid clawing at thin air.

On 54 minutes Campbell released Bryan Hay down the right and his cross on the run picked out Barbour but Reid thwarted the Broch striker’s header with another good save. Four minutes later good work between Young and Cowie eventually set up Barbour but he lashed his shot well side.

Logan Watt was next to try his luck on 64 minutes when he curled in a drive from the left but Reid produced another god save. Five minutes later Campbell found Barbour inside the penalty area but his half volley was deflected wide. From the resultant corner Kieran Simpson got on the end of Cowie’s in swinger to nod the ball home from close range.

Another Barbour effort on 78 minutes was repelled by Reid in the home goal before William West combined with Cowie but the Broch left wing back saw the home keeper make another block. The Broch capped a fine display on 87 minutes when a quick free kick by Cowie was flicked into the path of Paul Campbell by Barbour and the second half substitute swept the ball home from 6 yards.

Full Time: Keith 1 Fraserburgh 4

 Keith: Craig Reid, Rhys Thomas (Kian McCredie 90), Luke Emmett (yellow card 65), Connor Grant, Ryan Robertson, Demilade Yunus (Stewart Hutcheon 73), Liam Duncan, Tom Andrews, Przemyslaw Nawrocki, Michael Selfridge, Michael Ironside (Kieran Yeats 90).

Sub not used: Andy Stewart.

Goalscorer: Przemyslaw Nawrocki (6).

 Fraserburgh: Edward Flinn, Lewis Davidson Bryan Hay, Ryan Cowie, Kieran Simpson (yellow card 73), Grant Campbell (yellow card 20) (Scott Henry 81), Paul Young, William West, Gary Harris (Paul Campbell 62), Sean Butcher (Logan Watt 62), Scott Barbour.

Subs not used: Ryan Christie, Owen Cairns, Ryan Sargent, Joe Barbour.

Goalscorers: Scott Barbour (33), Gary Harris (50), Kieran Simpson (69), Paul Campbell (87).

 Match Officials: Referee: Joel Kennedy, Assistant Referees: Clyde Buchan & Davy Robertson.