League: Scottish League Cup (Premier Sports Cup)

Partick Thistle v Fraserburgh (Premier Sports Scottish League Cup)

Premier Sports Cup – Group B, Partick Thistle v Fraserburgh, Tuesday 19th July 2022

Partick Thistle moved into pole position at the top of Group B after running out convincing 2-0 winners over Highland League champions Fraserburgh in the Premier Sports Cup. Bryan Hay’s own goal and Brian Graham’s driven effort in the late evening sunshine at Firhill ensured the Jags leapfrogged Kilmarnock in the table ahead of the final round of fixtures this weekend.

Thistle were eyeing eight points from a possible nine as they looked to build on their impressive start to the campaign, while Fraserburgh arrived in Glasgow’s West End without a win from their previous three group games. In the first ever meeting between the clubs, the Broch gave a good account of themselves but struggled to pose much of an attacking threat against their Championship opponents.

The visitors started brightly with Lewis Duncan finding space on the left-hand side and the former Aberdeen youth picked out Aidan Combe unmarked in the box but his tame effort was deflected into the hands of Jamie Sneddon. Moments later, at the opposite end, Cammy Smith forced Joe Barbour into an acrobatic save with a strike from 20 yards. Following a lively start to the contest, the home side began to assert their dominance with Kyle Turner curling an effort from the edge of the box narrowly wide of the target. Fraserburgh began to drop deeper into their own half and they fell behind on 32 minutes when Jack McMillan’s low cross from the right was turned into his own net by centre-back Bryan Hay.

The North-East outfit continued to soak up plenty of pressure but they almost found themselves on level terms five minutes before the interval. Kieran Simpson’s well-weighted delivery was met by Combe in the penalty area but the winger was unable to prevent his header from sailing over the crossbar. Before the half drew to a close, Thistle should’ve doubled their lead. Brian Graham evaded the offside trap to slip in Cole McKinnon but the Rangers loanee saw his shot blocked by Barbour, who was quick off his line. Smith them found himself clean through on goal, but Barbour came to Fraserburgh’s rescue once more, producing a crucial fingertip save to keep the score at 1-0.

Half Time: Partick Thistle 1 Fraserburgh 0

The home side continued to press for a second and Turner went close with a rising drive on 54minutes. It took Thistle until just after the hour mark to put the game to bed. Kevin Holt’s cross from the left reached Graham inside the six-yard box and the veteran striker took a neat touch before rifling the ball low past the helpless Barbour.

Barbour’s heroics between the sticks continued as the match wore on, denying substitute Tony Weston from close range after latching onto Aidan Fitzpatrick’s defence-splitting pass. Fraserburgh found it difficult to keep possession on several occasions, and up front talisman Scott Barbour was unable to carve out a clear sight at goal. However, they acquitted themselves well against a side that will be gunning for promotion to the top-flight of Scottish football this season.

Full Time: Partick Thistle 2 Fraserburgh 0

Partick Thistle: Jamie Sneddon, Jack McMillan, Harry Milne, Kevin Holt, Kyle Turner (James Lyon 75), Brian Graham (Aidan Fitzpatrick 63), Steven Lawless (Anton Dowds 63), Cameron Smith (Anthony Weston 63), Cole McKinnon, Aaron Muirhead (Olatunji Akinola 46), Ross Docherty.
Sub not used: David Mitchell, Darren Brownlie, Stuart Bannigan, Ben Stanway.
Goalscorers: Brian Hay (OG, 32), Brian Graham (61).

Fraserburgh: Joe Barbour, Ross Aitken, William West (Connor Grant 80), Bryan Hay, Kieran Simpson, Paul Young, Logan Watt (Jordan Guild 70), Lewis Duncan (Scott Barbour 50), Aidan Combe, Ryan Sargent (Ethan Sutherland 80), Sean Butcher (Jamie Maclellan 70).
Sub not used: Edward Flinn.

Match Officials – Referee: Scott Lambie, Assistant Referees: Craig Macrae & Scott McGregor.

Despite finishing bottom of the group, Fraserburgh assistant manager James Duthie felt it has been a worthwhile experience for the players as they turn their focus on to their Highland League title defence, which begins on Saturday. “It was really tough up against a really good side. It’s a long journey on a Tuesday night, it was a hot night, we didn’t have the ball much and we were maybe five players short with injuries, but in terms of effort I couldn’t fault them. They ran a lot, they hassled a lot and kept a decent enough shape. It’s been a good experience playing in this cup and we’ll take a lot from it in terms of what we need to do to get better. I’d much rather be tested in these games than play meaningless friendlies and it’s been a brilliant learning experience.”

Manager Ian McCall felt his side should’ve been more clinical given the number of chances passed up and their territorial superiority against a side four tiers below them. “We should’ve scored more goals. I felt we were too open at times but we had two or three really good chances in the first-half and in the second half we had three or four. I was a bit gutted one or two of the new boys didn’t get their first goals for the club but credit to Fraserburgh, they dug in and kept their shape really well.”


Stenhousemuir v Fraserburgh (Premier Sports Scottish League Cup)

Premier Sports Cup – Group B, Stenhousemuir v Fraserburgh, Saturday 16th July 2022

The Broch made the journey south to Ochilview to face League Two Stenhousemuir in their third Premier Sports Cup match. The home side almost got off to a flier when Will Sewell latched onto a through ball but shot into the side-netting. On six minutes another long diagonal ball behind the Broch defence saw Adam Brown fire a shot just wide of the far upright. A minute later Aidan Combe flicked the ball into the path of Ryan Sargent but he saw his shot blocked.

Stenny’s Scott Walker was finding plenty space on the right and he crossed for Ross Forbes to fire a shot which went rising just past Joe Barbour’s left hand post. Forbes then tested Barbour again with a long range effort after 14 minutes but the Broch keeper did well to save. A mistake in the home defence lead to Sargent crossing for Scott Barbour but the ball was just behind the Broch striker and the chance was lost. On 25 minutes Sewell was picked out by Walker and he opened the scoring with a smart finish.

Half Time: Stenhousemuir 2 Fraserburgh 0

Jordan Guild tried his luck with a shot from the edge of the box but Jay Cantley made a comfortable save. The home side increased their lead when Calum Yeats picked out Craig Bryson with a cut back and the former Scotland International slotted the ball home. Just before the hour Lewis Duncan won the ball in midfield and played in Barbour but he scooped the ball just wide of the goal. On 65 minutes Brown fed the ball to Sewell but the home hitman blasted over from a good position. At the other end William West crossed for Sean Butcher but his header didn’t have the power to trouble Cantley.

The visitors were putting together some good passages of play and another ended with Duncan’s cross being met by Kieran Simpson but his effort went well over the crossbar. However, Stenny broke away on 74 minutes when Matty Yates latched onto a through ball and rounded Barbour to tuck the ball home. Three minutes from time Yates went in search of a second but this time Barbour was able to thwart the home forward.

As the clock ticked towards the final minute a flurry of action saw Ross Aitken fire in a shot which went just wide of the far post. Butcher then got clear of the Stenny defence and lashed a shot which bounced down off the crossbar and over the line but unfortunately for the Broch the goal wasn’t given. The final chance fell to Yates but his shot from the edge of the box was saved by Barbour.

Full Time: Stenhousemuir 3 Fraserburgh 0

Stenhousemuir: Jay Cantley, Scott Walker, Calum Yeats, Sean Crighton, Nicky Jamieson (Niyah Joseph 64), Michael Miller, Ross Forbes, Adam Brown, Craig Bryson (Matty Yates 61), Will Sewell (Michael Anderson 72), Thomas Orr (Nat Wedderburn 61).
Sub not used: Conor Brennan, Euan O’Reilly.
Goalscorers: Will Sewell (25), Craig Bryson (52), Matty Yates (74).

Fraserburgh: Joe Barbour, Ross Aitken, William West, Bryan Hay (Jamie Maclellan 74), Kieran Simpson, Paul Young (Connor Grant 74), Jordan Guild, Lewis Duncan, Aidan Combe, Ryan Sargent (Ross Taylor 80), Scott Barbour (Sean Butcher 64).
Sub not used: Ryan Cowie, Paul Campbell, Logan Watt, Edward Flinn.

Match Officials – Referee: Daniel Graves, Assistant Referees: Stuart Stevenson & Will Pare.


Fraserburgh v Montrose (Premier Sports Scottish League Cup)

Premier Sports Cup – Group B, Fraserburgh v Montrose, Tuesday 12th July 2022

The Broch’s second home match in the Premier Sports Cup kicked off in brilliant evening sunshine and Ryan Sargent was first to threaten the visitors with a surging run which brought the home side a fruitless corner. At the other end Blair Lyons tried a long range speculative effort which Joe Barbour saved comfortably. On four minutes another good run down the left by Sargent saw Sean Butcher flick the ball onto Lewis Duncan but his shot from the edge of the box was blocked.

Montrose took the lead on 11 minutes when Blair Lyons had room to turn inside the penalty area and fire home. Four minutes later another corner from the right found Lyons inside the Broch box and he finished with an acrobatic effort to double the visitor’s lead. Midway through the half Lewis Milne saw his shot deflected onto the post before Ross Aitken cleared the rebound. Montrose went further ahead on 32 minutes when Craig Brown raced clear but he was thwarted by Barbour however the rebound fell kindly to Lyons who squeezed the ball home to complete his hat-trick.

The Broch looked for a way to get back into the match and Duncan’s chip picked out Bryan Hay at the back post but the defender’s header was beaten away by Aaron Lennox. A free kick delivery by Duncan then picked out Butcher but his header drifted just wide. A couple of minutes from the break Paul Watson was booked for a late tackle on Duncan.

Half Time: Fraserburgh 0 Montrose 3

The home side pulled a goal back on 65 minutes when Scott Barbour’s cross into the Montrose penalty area was met by Butcher who beat Lennox to the ball to force the ball home from close range. Connor Grant then went into the book for stopping a promising attack. Right at the death Montrose scored a fourth when Craig Brown turned Kieran Simpson and laid the ball off to Graham Webster who scored with a composed finish.

Almost immediately Butcher pulled another goal back when he swept home a Jamie Maclellan cross after the young Broch starlet had powered down the right wing. Deep into stoppage time Zane Laird was shown the red card after an off the ball incident inside the Montrose penalty area.

Full Time: Fraserburgh 2 Montrose 4

Fraserburgh: Joe Barbour, Ross Aitken, Connor Grant (Zane Laird 80), Bryan Hay, Kieran Simpson, Paul Young, Logan Watt (Jordan Guild 55), Lewis Duncan (Ross Taylor 84), Sean Butcher, Ryan Sargent (Jamie Maclellan 80), Scott Barbour.
Sub not used: Sam Inglis.
Goalscorer: Sean Butcher (65 & 90).

Montrose: Aaron Lennox, Mark Whatley, Aidan Quinn (Sean Dillon 71), Liam Callaghan, Kerr Waddell, Terry Masson, Graham Webster, Paul Watson (Martin Rennie 61), Craig Brown, Lewis Milne, Blair Lyons.
Sub not used: Ross Matthews.
Goalscorers: Blair Lyons (11, 15 & 32), Graham Webster (90).

Match Officials – Referee: Chris Fordyce, Assistant Referees: Colin Drummond & Duncan Nicolson.


Jordan Guild

Jordan featured as a trialist during our 3 pre-season friendlies and impressed sufficiently to earn a full contract. He is a box to box player with a good range of passing and good physical attributes. He will be looking to compete for a place in the midfield engine room in the coming season. Has featured in all the Broch’s matches so far this season.
Debut v Kilmarnock 09/07/2022, 

Fraserburgh v Kilmarnock (Premier Sports Scottish League Cup)


Premier Sports Cup – Group B, Fraserburgh v Kilmarnock, Saturday 9th July 2022

Fraserburgh FC welcomed Premiership opponents Kilmarnock to the Bellslea in their first ever Premier Sport Cup match. The home side were missing a number of first team regulars as well as retirees Grant Campbell and Gary Harris from the previous campaign. Manager, Mark Cowie gave a debut to new signing Jordan Guild and the match kicked off in perfect conditions before a healthy crowd with a large contingent travelling up from Ayrshire.

The Broch tried to get back into the game and Lewis Duncan’s corner from the left caused havoc in the six yard box but nobody in a black and white shirt was able to capitalise. On 24 minutes good work on the left by Calum Waters saw his cross to the back post pick out Danny Armstrong but Paul Leask did well to block the effort.

Just after the half hour a good move involving Logan Watt, Paul Young and William West created a chance for Ryan Sargent but his shot went well wide of target. Kyle Lafferty broke free of the home defence on 35 minutes but once again Leask was able to repel the big Killie striker.

Half Time: Fraserburgh 0 Kilmarnock 2

The home side came out with more vigour after the break and Sean Butcher headed wide from a Ross Aitken cross. On 52 minutes Watt broke at speed and found Duncan who cut inside his marker but saw his low shot skid just wide of the post. Two minutes later Paul Young got on the end of a clearance but saw his shot well saved. Just after the hour Rory McKenzie ought to have made it 0-3 but his dinked shot went just the wrong side of Leask’s right hand post.

On 66 minutes the Broch had a major let off when McKenzie’s cross was met by Murray and his shot came back off the post but inexplicably he put the rebound high over the crossbar. Three minutes later Bryan Hay’s free kick caused confusion inside the Killie penalty area and Young found Butcher who managed to prod the ball home. A minute later Lafferty got on the end of a cross from the right to steer a header past Leask to restore the two goal lead.

With fifteen minutes left Butcher saw his free kick from 25 yards pushed away by Zach Hemming. There was still time for the home side to give debuts to youngsters Connor Grant and Jamie Maclellan as the match drew to a conclusion.

Full Time: Fraserburgh 1 Kilmarnock 3

Fraserburgh: Paul Leask, Ross Aitken, William West, Bryan Hay, Jordan Guild, Kieran Simpson, Paul Young, Logan Watt, Lewis Duncan (Jamie Maclellan 80), Sean Butcher (Connor Grant 78), Ryan Sargent (Zane Laird 74).
Subs not used: Ryan Cowie, Kyle Wood, Ricky Milne, Joe Barbour.
Goalscorer: Sean Butcher (69).

Kilmarnock: Zach Hemming, Alan Power (Brad Lyons 79), Ashton Taylor, Rory McKenzie, Oliver Shaw (Dylan McGowan 64), Daniel Armstrong, Jack Sanders (Lee Hodson 64), Fraser Murray, Calum Waters, Kyle Lafferty (Innes Cameron 86), Liam Polworth (Liam Donnelly 64).
Subs not used: Samuel Walker, Kerr McInroy, Steven Warnock, David Watson.
Goalscorers: Oliver Shaw (6), Fraser Murray (16), Kyle Lafferty (70).

Match Officials – Referee: Graham Grainger, Assistant Referees: Calum Spence & Steven Traynor.