League: Scottish Cup


Fraserburgh vs Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic

Broch dumped out of Cup by late sucker punch

The Broch suffered late heartbreak in the Scottish Cup after putting Bonnyrigg Rose under the cosh for most of the second half only to be hit with a sucker punch in the last minute which ended their exploits in the National competition early this season.

The home side made one change from last week at Nairn with fit again Ryan Cowie returning to the starting line up at the expense of Greg Buchan who dropped to the bench. Bryan Hay was suspended for the tie after his sending off last season and Lewis Davidson was away on work commitments.

The first chance fell to the Broch on 7 minutes when Paul Campbell controlled a loose ball before finding Scott Barbour on the left, he drove into the box and fired in a shot which saw Mark Weir pull off a great save. Two minutes later a cross by Lee Currie to the back post picked out George Hunter but he couldn’t direct his shot on the stretch on target.

Midway through the half Jonathan Brown cut in from the left wing and fired in a shot which went just past Paul Leask’s near post. On 31 minutes a long ball forward caused panic in the Broch defence but George Hunter shot tamely straight at Paul Leask under pressure from Kieran Simpson.

Half Time: Fraserburgh 0 Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 0

The home side came out firing after the break with the wind at their backs and Paul Campbell latched onto a loose ball 30 yards out before rifling in a shot which Mark Weir managed to tip over the crossbar. A minute later a corner from the right by Ryan Cowie put the visitors keeper under pressure and he did well to touch the ball onto the crossbar and over.

On 51 minutes Owen Cairns burst through the Bonnyrigg defence but as he raced into the penalty area the return ball from Scott Barbour ran kindly for Mark Weir who flopped on top of it before the Broch full-back could get a touch. Just after the hour Paul Young and Owen Cairns combined to create some space for the home midfielder who then played a one-two with Scott Barbour but his effort ended up going just wide.

A long ball forward on 65 minutes found Scott Barbour behind the Bonnyrigg defence but as he centred to Paul Campbell, Mark Weir was out quickly to deny the Broch striker with another crucial save. Three minutes later a Ryan Cowie free kick was headed wide by Paul Young as the home side pushed for the opener.

The Black and Whites came close on 70 minutes when Scott Barbour picked the ball up on the left and pulled his cross back to Paul Young who laid it off top Michael Rae but once again the Bonnyrigg keeper was equal to the task with an unorthodox punch save. Two minutes later Owen Cairns picked out Scott Barbour with a diagonal pass on the left and the Broch striker drove past a visiting defender before firing in a cross which went agonizingly through the six yard box without a Broch player getting a touch.

On 81 minutes Paul Young’s cross from the right picked out William West at the back post but he headed wide. With a minute remaining Bonnyrigg caught the Broch with a sucker punch as Ross Gray wriggled his way into the penalty area before pulling the ball back to George Hunter who smashed the ball home via the crossbar much to the delight of the travelling support. The home side had one last chance in injury time when Paul Campbell got in behind the defence but Mark Weir was out smartly to deny the Broch striker.

Full Time: Fraserburgh 0 Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 1

Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic: Mark Weir, Dean Brett, Jonathan Brown, Ewan Moyes, Alan Horne, Lewis Turner, Jonathan Stewart, Keiran McGachie (Ross Gray 72), Lee Currie, Neil Martynuik, George Hunter.
Subs not used: Michael Andrews, Jamie Docherty, Jamie Devlin, Scott Gray.
Goalscorer: George Hunter (89).

Match Officials: Referee: Scott Leslie, Assistant Referees: Christopher De Sykes & Allan Leslie.


Ryan Sargent

Debut v Buckie Thistle 12/04/2017. Ryan has been promoted to the first team squad after a number of impressive performances in the U20s. He is one of the fastest players at the club and has quick feet and good crossing ability. He notched his first competitive goal for the club in the 10-0 win at Fort William two seasons ago and has added two more since.