Broch tear Turra apart with first half blitz

The Broch’s first half blitz floored a young Turriff team at the Haughs to see the visitors pick up another three points to retain their top of the League status. Strikes from Paul Young, Scott Barbour, Michael Rae, Sean Butcher and Greg Buchan saw the Black and Whites on easy street. The second half was pretty low key with the Broch finding Turriff keeper Fraser Hobday in fine form but Sean Butcher did extend the lead before Lewis Buxton fired home a late consolation for the home side.

There were several changes due to injury and work commitments with Ryan Cowie & Aidan Combe both missing the game after picking up knocks against Fort William and Lewis Davidson & Luke Barbour away working. That meant starts for Arnadas Cepulis, Greg Buchan & Owen Cairns with a call up to the bench for Tyler Chicken.

The Broch made what seems their customary early start when a long ball forward by Paul Leask on 3 minutes found Scott Barbour just outside the Turriff United penalty area and he played a delicious chipped pass into the box for Paul Young to run onto and round the keeper to slide the ball into the empty net.

Three minutes later Owen Cairns picked up a loose ball in midfield and found Sean Butcher outside the box but he dragged his shot wide of goal. On 8 minutes Michael Rae found Paul Campbell on the right and his cross was turned home by Scott Barbour to double the Broch’s lead.

On 12 minutes another long pass down the left to Scott Barbour saw the Broch striker cross into the middle just behind Paul Campbell but it fell kindly to Sean Butcher but once again his shot went wide of the post. The visitors should have stretched their lead on 13 minutes when first Scott Barbour fired past the post when clean through and then Paul Campbell saw his shot saved when he was released in on goal.

The Broch were creating lots of chances but failing to take them and on 18 minutes they passed up another great opening when Owen Cairns and Michael Rae combined to release Scott Barbour down the right but his pin point cross was headed wide by Paul Campbell from close range. Two minutes later they did extend their lead to 3-0 when Paul Campbell controlled the ball inside the box and laid it back to Michael Rae 20 yards out and he lashed home a low drive past Fraser Hobday.

On 25 minutes a long ball forward was misjudged by Cameron Bowden and Scott Barbour nipped in but his lobbed effort flew over the crossbar. The Broch kept probing for a fourth and Owen Cairns found Sean Butcher in space on the right but his shot from wide on the right was well saved by the Turriff keeper.

The goal did arrive on 37 minutes however when Scott Barbour’s cross into the six yard box was met by Sean Butcher who headed past the exposed Fraser Hobday. Just before the break Greg Buchan was released by Scott Barbour’s through ball and the Broch midfielder saw his initial effort saved but he followed up to drill the ball past the Turriff goalkeeper to make it 5-0.

Half Time: Turriff United 0 Fraserburgh 5

The Broch picked up where they left off and almost made it six on 48 minutes when Greg Buchan laid the ball back to Arnadas Cepulis who drilled in a shot which was well saved by Fraser Hobday. Midway through the half the visitors eventually got the sixth goal when Paul Campbell turned his marker and fired in a shot which was blocked but the rebound fell nicely to Sean Butcher to poke the ball home.

On 74 minutes the Turriff goal survived a double scare when first Scott Barbour picked out Sean Butcher but he shot straight at Fraser Hobday. Then Paul Young teed up Paul Campbell but the Broch striker’s curling shot went well over the crossbar. A minute later Sean Butcher sent Paul Campbell clear on the right and his shot across the keeper was tipped round the post by Fraser Hobday.

The Broch were peppering the home goal and Greg Buchan’s free kick into the area on 78 minutes was met by the head of Paul Campbell but the Turriff keeper saved on the line at the second attempt. A minute later and Owen Cairns driving run ended with the young defender firing in a shot which was well saved.

Owen Cairns then turned provider on 84 minutes when he set up Paul Campbell but once again Fraser Hobday was in the right place to thwart the Broch attacker. Turriff’s first real effort came on 86 minutes when Calum Reid broke forward but he saw his shot go agonisingly wide of the far post.

They did get their reward on 88 minutes though when Robert Ward’s drive from inside the area was well saved by Paul Leask but the ball was turned home by Lewis Buxton at the far post. Right at the end a Greg Buchan corner from the right dropped to Arnadas Cepulis at the back post but he side footed wide from close range.

Full Time: Turriff United 1 Fraserburgh 6

Turriff United: Fraser Hobday, James Chalmers, James Robson, Ethan Smith, Cameron Bowden (Roy McBain 45), Dylan Stuart, Keir Smith (Angus Grant 69), Michael Ewen, Robert Ward, Lewis Buxton, Michael Ironside (Calum Reid 74).
Subs not used: Ross Strath, Rory Brown, Lee McAllister, Jacob Otto.
Goalscorer: Lewis Buxton (88).

Match Officials: Referee: Scott Leslie, Assistant Referees: Craig Veitch & Scott Donohoe.



Date Time League Season Full Time
31 August 2019 3:00 pm Highland League (Breedon) 2019/2020 90'


The Haughs
Queens Road, Turriff AB53 4EF, UK


ClubHalf TimeFull TimePenalties
Turriff United011


1Paul Leask Goalkeeper
Owen Cairns Defender
8William West Midfielder
5Kieran Simpson 3 Defender
Paul Campbell Forward
6Paul Young Midfielder
Michael Rae 14 Midfielder
16Greg Buchan Midfielder
11Scott Barbour Forward
17Sean Butcher Forward
Edward Flinn Goalkeeper
Andrew Hannar Forward
14Logan Watt Midfielder
3Bryan Hay 5 Defender
Tyler Chicken 17 Midfielder
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

ffc logo KO 69 79 87 FT