Fraserburgh travelled to North Lodge Park looking for their first league victory over title favourites Formartine United at this venue since April 2010. The fact that they managed to do this with ten men for much of the second half and with several first team regulars missing shows the quality and determination of the squad amassed by Mark Cowie and his coaching staff. The only surprise was that it ended just 2-1 to the visitors who dominated the match for long spells despite the numerical disadvantage.

The Broch made two changes to the eleven that brushed aside Wick Academy a week ago with Jamie Beagrie returning to replace Kieran Simpson and Paul Young doing likewise to take over from Greg Buchan with both youngsters dropping to the bench which had its usual youthful look.

The visitors could have taken an early lead on 3 minutes when Scott Barbour outmuscled Michael Clark to have a clear run on goal but a poor first touch saw Kevin Main collect the ball before the Broch striker could recover. Five minutes later a dangerous cross by Andrew Greig was well held by Paul Leask as Garry Wood waited for any scraps.

On 12 minutes a Broch corner was cleared to Aidan Combe on the right and he crossed to the back post for Owen Cairns who picked out William West with a cut back but his shot was blocked and the rebound which fell to Sean Butcher was deflected behind for a corner. From the resultant set piece Ryan Cowie swung the ball into the six yard area but William West headed wide.

Scott Barbour won a free kick on 21 minutes which was taken by Paul Young but Kevin Main made a comfortable save. On the half hour Garry Wood escaped punishment after going down in the penalty area rather easily which led to several players for both sides massing together and resulted in yellow cards for Graeme Rodger and Jamie Beagrie for their involvement in the melee.

Formartine’s first real chance came on 38 minutes when Scott Lisle found Garry Wood in space inside the Broch penalty area and he laid it back to Graeme Rodger who saw his shot blocked. The visitors took a deserved lead a minute before the break when Sean Butcher released Paul Campbell down the right and whilst his cross was blocked the ball rebounded straight to him to rifle the ball past Kevin Main from 14 yards.

Half Time: Formartine United 0 Fraserburgh 1

The Broch started the second half in the same fashion as they ended the first with Scott Barbour and Aidan Combe combining with each other for the latter to drive into the home penalty area only for Kevin Main to make an important save. Ten minutes after the break Jamie Beagrie was rather harshly red carded after being penalised for getting in the way of Garry Wood’s attempt to take a quick free kick.

Just after the hour Andrew Greig cut inside from the left wing and curled an effort towards the top corner which Paul Leask brilliantly clawed away for a corner. Despite their numerical disadvantage the Broch were still providing a real threat and on 66 minutes Ryan Cowie broke clear on the right and played a one-two with Scott Barbour before feeding the ball inside to Aidan Combe who saw his long range shot well saved by Kevin Main with Owen Cairns hitting the side netting with the rebound.

The home side were desperately trying to find a way through but the resolute Broch defence stayed firm on 69 minutes when Scott Lisle saw his 25 yarder deflected over the crossbar for a corner. From the set piece the ball broke to Aidan Combe who raced clear into the Formartine half before finding Paul Young but his shot was straight at Kevin Main.

On 73 minutes Ryan Cowie’s free kick fell to Aidan Combe but he saw his shot blocked. A minute later Scott Barbour did well to battle clear of his marker’s attentions only for Kevin Main to thwart the Broch striker again.

The Broch went 2-0 up on 76 minutes after a Maradonaesque run by Owen Cairns was crudely ended by Michael Clark who was lucky to escape with only a yellow card. Garry Wood was also yellow carded for his attempt to end the Fraserburgh full back’s foray forward but Ryan Cowie stepped up and smashed a free kick past the despairing Kevin Main with the aid of a massive deflection of the defensive wall.

The home side was up against it now but Scott Lisle came close on 84 minutes after a good run but his shot went just wide. They did pull one back on 89 minutes when Garry Wood rose highest to head home a corner despite Owen Cairns attempt to clear it off the line.

The Broch comfortably saw out the final few moments though and could have extended their lead when first Paul Young saw his shot saved and the Scott Barbour’s follow up was blocked.

Full Time: Formartine United 1 Fraserburgh 2

Formartine United: Kevin Main, Jonathan Crawford, Stuart Smith (Kieran Lawrence 70), Stuart Anderson, Craig McKeown, Michael Clark, Graeme Rodger, Scott Lisle, Garry Wood, Liam Strachan (Gary McGowan 51), Andrew Greig (Conor Gethins 70).
Subs not used: Jordan Leyden, Paul Lawson, Wayne Mackintosh, Errol Watson.
Goalscorer: Garry Wood (90).

Match Officials: Referee: Graham Beaton, Assistant Referees: Anthony Cooper & Brian Fowlie.



Date Time League Season Full Time
3 August 2019 3:00 pm Highland League (Breedon) 2019/2020 90'


North Lodge Park
Oldmeldrum Rd, Pitmedden, Ellon AB41 7PA, UK


ClubHalf TimeFull Time
Formartine United01


1Paul Leask Goalkeeper
Owen Cairns Defender
7Jamie Beagrie Midfielder
8William West Midfielder
4Ryan Cowie Defender
Paul Campbell Forward
6Paul Young Midfielder
Michael Rae Midfielder
Aidan Combe 16 Forward
11Scott Barbour Forward
17Sean Butcher 5 Forward
Andrew Hannar Forward
14Logan Watt Midfielder
16Greg Buchan Midfielder
5Kieran Simpson 17 Defender
Edward Flinn Goalkeeper
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

ffc logo KO 59 77 FT