Broch sting Jags to make it four out of four

The Broch continued their fine league form with another victory at a tough venue in very windy conditions. They got off to the perfect start with Sean Butcher’s goal on two minutes and after the Jags equalised from the spot Scott Barbour notched his sixth of the season midway through the second half. A controlled second half performance finally got the goal it merited in stoppage time from Lewis Davidson and there was even time for Greg Buchan to see his penalty save right at the death.

Mark Cowie made one change which was enforced by Michael Rae missing they match after his wide Nadine had given birth to a baby daughter earlier in the week, Jamie Beagrie returned from suspension to take his place in the midfield. There was also a place for Bryan Hay on the bench after he had recovered from injury.

The visitors couldn’t have got off to a better start on two minutes when Ryan Cowie’s cross from the left was missed by Scott Barbour but Sean Butcher managed to get on the end of it to stab the ball home from close range.

Three minutes later Ryan Cowie broke free after a Buckie Thistle corner and drove towards the home side’s goal before seeing his dangerous cross cut out before he could pick out a Black and White shirt.

The Jags levelled on 11 minutes when Sam Robertson turned past Kieran Simpson, then saw his cross handled by William West inside the penalty area and referee Billy Baxter had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Sam Urquhart coolly slotted home.

On 21 minutes Owen Cairns cross from the right was only half cleared to Aidan Combe at the edge of the penalty area and he saw his raking drive sting the hands of Lee Herbert who held the shot at the second attempt.

A minute later and the Broch were back in front after a lovely move which ended with Paul Campbell picking out Scott Barbour with a defence splitting pass and the striker rifled the ball past Lee Herbert into the bottom corner.

Half Time: Buckie Thistle 1 Fraserburgh 2

The visitors now had the strong wind at their backs in the second half and went looking for a third goal seven minutes in when William West’s ball down the left wing picked out Ryan Cowie and his wind-assisted cross had to be tipped over the crossbar by the Buckie keeper as it dipped towards the net.

On 56 minutes Hamish Munro dispossessed Paul Campbell on the halfway line and drove forward before finding Andrew MacAskill but the Buckie striker pulled his shot well wide.

The Broch were looking more and more comfortable but were still looking for that elusive third goal and it almost came on 69 minutes when Paul Young’s header forward found Scott Barbour at the edge of the penalty area and he laid it off to Sean Butcher but his shot was easily saved.

On 77 minutes the visitors were awarded a free kick 25 yards out after Paul Young’s driving run had been ended illegally by Andrew MacAskill who received a yellow card for his trouble. Ryan Cowie curled a dipping set piece just over the crossbar.

Six minutes later Jamie Beagrie sent Scott Barbour clear on goal but the normally deadly Broch striker was caught in two minds and could only poke the ball straight at the keeper. As the match entered the final minute Kevin Fraser had a chance for the home side but he fired wide of Paul Leask’s goal.

The Black and Whites finally put the game to bed in stoppage time when Scott Barbour ran onto a through ball on the left and fired in a shot which Lee Herbert did well to push away but the loose ball fell to Lewis Davidson who composed himself before coolly tucking the ball into the net from 12 yards.

The Broch then passed up a great opportunity for a fourth goal deep in injury time after Lee Herbert impeded Luke Barbour inside the penalty area but he redeemed himself to save Greg Buchan’s tame attempt from the spot kick.

Full Time: Buckie Thistle 1 Fraserburgh 3

Buckie Thistle: Lee Herbert, Hamish Munro, Kieran Adams, Sam Morrison, Scott Adams, Sam Urquhart (Joe McCabe 32), Kevin Fraser, Craig Cowie (Declan Milne 75), Jay Cheyne (Mark McLauchlan 64), Andrew MacAskill, Sam Robertson.
Subs not used: Lewis MacKinnon, Callum Murray, Shaun Wood, Shaun Carroll.
Goalscorer: Sam Urquhart (penalty, 11).

Match Officials: Referee: Billy Baxter, Assistant Referees: Alan Dawson & Kevin Buchanan.



Date Time League Season Full Time
17 August 2019 3:00 pm Highland League (Breedon) 2019/2020 90'


Victoria Park (Buckie)
9 Midmar St, Buckie AB56 1QA, UK


ClubHalf TimeFull TimeGoals
Buckie Thistle111


Paul Leask Goalkeeper
Owen Cairns Defender
William West Midfielder
Kieran Simpson Defender
Ryan Cowie Defender
Paul Campbell Forward
Paul Young Midfielder
Jamie Beagrie Midfielder
Aidan Combe Forward
Scott Barbour Forward
Sean Butcher Forward
Bryan Hay Defender
Edward Flinn Goalkeeper
Logan Watt Midfielder
Greg Buchan Midfielder
Lewis Davidson Defender
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

ffc logo KO 51 82 82 FT