Ten man Broch spot on to reach Shire Final

The Broch battled the conditions and the odds to claim a place in next month’s Evening Express Aberdeenshire Cup Final against Formartine United. A tense first half erupted into life just before the break when Michael Rae was red carded for an apparent stamp on Kevin Fraser. Despite the numerical disadvantage the visitors took the lead early in the second half through an own goal and looked set to win the tie in normal time until Kieran Simpson’s unfortunate intervention deep into stoppage time. The tie was then decided by the taking of penalty kicks with both sides having chances to win it before the Broch triumphed.

The Broch made one change to the team that defeated Turriff United with Jamie Beagrie coming into the centre of defence to replace Arnadas Cepulis with William West taking up an unfamiliar position at left back. Ryan Cowie returned from injury to take a place on the bench.

The home side had the first chance of the game on 3 minutes when Sam Urquhart cut inside from the left wing and fired in a shot which Paul Leask did well to tip round the post. The Broch responded on 6 minutes when a corner from the right was half cleared to Jamie Beagrie who chipped the ball back but Sean Butcher headed wide.

Ten minutes later and the same player had another chance when Scott Barbour whipped in a cross from the left but once again the Broch striker headed wide. On 24 minutes the Broch came close when the ball broke to Scott Barbour 25 yards out and his raking drive was deflected just over the crossbar with the Buckie keeper stranded.

A minute later and Greg Buchan connected well at the edge of the box but Daniel Bell did brilliantly to deny the Broch midfielder. The visitors continued to push for the opener and Greg Buchan’s free kick on 33 minutes broke kindly for Scott Barbour but his shot on the turn produced another good save by the home keeper.

Five minutes later Sam Robertson tried his luck with a speculative shot from 20 yards but Paul Leask made a comfortable save. The home side came close on 43 minutes when a corner broke to Shaun Carroll at the back post but his low shot was cleared off the line by Michael Rae. Just before the break the Broch midfielder was shown the red card for an apparent stamp on Kevin Fraser although it looked a rather harsh decision.

Half Time: Buckie Thistle 0 Fraserburgh 0

The Broch reshuffled at the break with Ryan Cowie replacing Greg Buchan and taking up his normal position at left back with William West moving into the centre of defence and Jamie Beagrie pushing forward to take Michael Rae’s position in centre of midfield.
Despite being down to ten men the visitors continued to make the running and Sean Butcher was unlucky to see his curling shot from Paul Campbell’s lay off drift just wide of goal on 51 minutes. A minute later there was joy amongst the Broch ranks when Paul Campbell won a free kick on the right which Ryan Cowie fired in and the ball flew into the net off Shaun Wood under pressure from Paul Campbell.

Buckie were straight on the attack and Joseph McCabe had a shot from distance which saw Paul Leask pull off a good save. On 70 minutes the Broch keeper did well to thwart Sam Robertson with his feet after a cross went right through the six yard box and the Buckie striker fired in a low drive at the back post.

Four minutes later Ryan Cowie released Scott Barbour on the left and he drove past his marker before firing in a shot which Daniel Bell did well to save. Another break by the Broch two minutes later saw Sean Butcher find Scott Barbour on the left and his centre was side footed wide by the aforementioned Butcher.

Buckie came close in the 90th minute to an equaliser when Kieran Adams headed wide from a good position. Deep in stoppage time the home side cruelly snatched a leveler when a cross into the Broch penalty area was headed into his own net by Kieran Simpson as he tried to clear the ball.

Full Time: Buckie Thistle 1 Fraserburgh 1

Paul Campbell and Shaun Carroll traded penalties at the start of the spot kick decider before Owen cairns gave the Broch the advantage netting whilst Scott Graham missed. William West then hammered his spot kick against the bar and Joseph McCabe levelled things up again. Kieran Simpson then overcame his disappointment to coolly slot home and Scott Adams saw his kick saved to give the Broch the advantage again. Paul Young had a chance to win it but smashed his kick against the crossbar and Andrew MacAskill made sure it was level again after five kicks each. Scott Barbour and Luke Barbour netted the visitors next two kicks but Lewis MacKinnon and Declan Milne did likewise for Buckie. Paul Leask then skied his kick well over but redeemed himself by saving Kevin Fraser’s tame kick. Jamie Beagrie slotted home his kick before Kieran Adams launched his into the evening sky to send the Broch faithful into raptures.

Fraserburgh won 6-5 on penalties

Buckie Thistle: Daniel Bell, Shaun Wood (Declan Milne 68), Shaun Carroll, Lewis MacKinnon, Kieran Adams, Sam Urquhart (Scott Graham 57), Kevin Fraser, Joseph McCabe, Callum Murray (Scott Adams 57), Andrew MacAskill, Sam Robertson.
Subs not used: Craig Cowie, Hamish Munro, Mark McLauchlan, Lee Herbert.
Goalscorer: Kieran Simpson (own goal 90).

Match Officials: Referee: Dan McFarlane, Assistant Referees: Chris Phillips & Ally Bruce.


Date Time League Season Full Time
4 September 2019 8:00 pm Aberdeenshire Cup (Evening Express) 2019/2020 90'


Victoria Park (Buckie)
9 Midmar St, Buckie AB56 1QA, UK


ClubHalf TimeFull TimePenalties
Buckie Thistle125


1Paul Leask Goalkeeper
Owen Cairns Defender
7Jamie Beagrie Midfielder
5Kieran Simpson Defender
8William West Midfielder
Paul Campbell Forward
6Paul Young Midfielder
Michael Rae Midfielder
16Greg Buchan Midfielder
11Scott Barbour Forward
17Sean Butcher Forward
14Logan Watt Midfielder
Edward Flinn Goalkeeper
4Ryan Cowie 16 Defender
3Bryan Hay Defender
Own Goal
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

ffc logo KO 45 77 FT